11/17/10

Yummy Treats

So with the cold weather here to stay, I've done less hooping (can you say freezing temps and high power winds!!) and have been working on some indoor projects. I felt crafty and made some T-shirt yarn that I am now turning into some warm, fingerless gloves for myself. I also made some delicious cookies and toasted pumpkins seeds!! Both turned out super good so I thought I would share the recipes.

Oatmeal Chocolate Chip & Cranberry Cookies
Guided with love from this recipe.

Ingredients:
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp ground cinnamon
2 tbsp butter, room temperature (use earth balance or olive oil to veganize)
1/4 cup turbinado sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 large egg (use egg replacer for vegans)
1/4 cup organic apple sauce
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups quick cooking oats (I used regular steel cut oats)
3/4 cup organic chocolate chips (or carob chips)
1/2 cup craisins

Preheat your oven to 350 and prepare a baking sheet with wax paper. Mix flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon together. Remember, if you get messy, then you're really baking!! In another bowl, cream your fat and sugars, then add egg, apple sauce, and vanilla. By hand, lovingly mix the ingredients of the two bowls plus your oats together, just combining until no flour is visible. Gently add your chips and craisins with their new friends. Scoop tablespoons onto the baking sheet, flattening slightly as you go. Bake for 10-13 minutes until brown on the outsides. Let cool on the pan for a few minutes (have one!! They are delicious warm) and then move to a rack to cool completely. Smile!! You just made yourself some yummy, healthy cookies.

I made pumpkin brownies last weekend and saved the seeds for roasting to add to salads, pasta, or just as a snack!!

Roasted Pumpkin Seeds
Adapted from this recipe

Ingredients:
Raw pumpkin seeds
Olive Oil
Garlic Powder
Cayenne

Preheat oven to 300.  In a small bowl mix pumpkin seeds and just enough olive oil to cover.  Shower yummies with cayenne and garlic powder to taste (I like LOTS of garlic!!).  Spread evenly on a baking sheet and roast for 45 minutes until brown.  Make sure to stir the little guys occasionally to get nice and brown all over.  Let cool on baking sheet and store.  These are SO good!!


Things around here have been a little difficult.  It's just one of those times when life just hits you with all kinds of things.  It's all good because I have my hoop, my man, yoga, and my crafts to uplift me.  Hopefully it will all turn around soon; we may have found a new place to move in and I have a potential hoop making birthday party to do in the next few months.  More on both of these things later.  Got to run; time to hoop.  I will just have to get myself warm in this 20 degree weather if I want to practice. 

I leave you with the sunrise this morning; the picture doesn't even begin to show the beautiful golds, pinks, purples, and blues that were present.  Have a wonderful, blessed day.  Peace.




No comments:

Post a Comment