12/9/10

Life's lessons

It has been a while since I have posted, pretty much stringing my 30 Day Challenge along quite well.  I have been really busy, though and some unexpected events have had me lagging along.  My boyfriend is leaving for Virginia tonight until next week, while I am in the midst of getting ready to leave myself within the week.  It has been extremely cold outside (single digits) and I have not been able to hoop much.  I think this weekend I am going to come to my work to have a good long, indoor session.  I really need it.

I had been pretty down since Monday.  I saw a dog get hit by a car right in front of my eyes.  It was the first time I had ever witnessed anything like that.  I have seen dogs after they got hit by cars, but not the actual event.  I was on my way from work to the grocery store when I saw a dog weaving back and forth between the lanes of the main road I live off of.  I pulled over into a drive way in hopes that I could call him over to me to check to see if he had a collar with a information tag so I could get ahold of the owners.  All seemed well when I saw him cross over to my side of the road.  I thought I could grab him, but as soon as that thought crossed my mind he darted right across the road again getting hit by a truck.

The look of his helpless face in front of the truck caught in the headlights played over and over in my head.  I immediately started to pray for him and his family.  I then called 911 for them to call animal control in hopes of any chance he wasn't dead, they could save him.  I look back over to the dog andmy boyfriend is standing over him, moving his body out of the road.  It was my boyfriend's boss that hit the poor dog on their way home from work.  His boss was crushed, being a real dog lover.  It was super slick out and the dog literally ran out right in front of him.

The dog, of course, didn't make it.  They came and picked up his body, but the images we burned in my head.  On my way to the store, at the store, and that night I cried.  I cried a lot.  Almost to the point where you would have thought I hit him.  I just felt so bad that I couldn't keep that from happening.  I prayed that night before bed and asked god to tell that dog I did everything I could to help me. 

The next day I was still bummed about it.  I decided I was going to dedicate that day's yoga practice to him.  I found a heart opening sequence to do because I thought that was pretty appropriate.  I sat down and set my intention on that dog and the happiness and wellness of all the animals in the world.  I praticed harder and deeper than I ever have in my whole four year yoga practice.  It made me feel a lot better.  I visualized him playing with my dogs that have passed.  I saw him crossing happily over the rainbow bridge to a better place.

Thinking about that night I still get a little sad, but this whole situation helped show me that my yoga practice can help me make it through these hard situations; well, that and a hell of a lot of praying. 

This isn't extremely interesting, nor enjoyable to read, I'm sure.  But I will leave you with the poem of the Rainbow Bridge in hopes that you may find comfort in knowing that any of your animals that have passed, are now happy and joyful.

THE RAINBOW BRIDGE POEM

 
When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.
 
All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.
 
They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.
 
You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.
 
Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....
Author unknown...

Peace, love, and happiness.

1 comment:

  1. Woah sorry to hear about what you witnessed. My sister Minna showed me that poem before - she's a total animal lover - it's beautiful. Where in Virginia will you be? I was in Fairfax yesterday, we'll be up in this area (NYC-DC/Baltimore-Philly) the whole time until New Year. Maybe we can work out something and finally MEET!! :D :D

    ReplyDelete