10/29/10

Mason Jar and Two Cups of Tea

My boss emailed me this story and I really liked the analogy within it.  I wanted to share here because I really think our lives are an important thing to not only think about, to reevaluate it constantly to fit our needs, but also to always be present in whatever we do and whatever situation we are in, positive or negative.  So here is my take on the story of A Mayonnaise Jar and Two Beers: enjoy :).

A Mason Jar and Two Cups of Tea

When things in your life seem almost too much to handle, when 24 hours in a day are not enough, remember the mason jar and two cups of tea.

A professor stood before his philosophy class and had some items in front of him.

When the class began, he wordlessly picked up a very large and empty mason jar and proceeded to fill it with votive candles.  He then asked the students if the jar was full.  They agreed that it was.

The professor then picked up a box of pebbles and poured them into the jar. He shook the jar lightly.
The pebbles rolled into the open areas between the candles.  He then asked the students again, if the jar was full.  They agreed it was.

The professor next picked up a box of sand and poured it into the jar.  Of course, the sand filled up everything else.  He asked once more if the jar was full.  The students responded with a unanimous 'yes.'

The professor then produced two cups of tea from under the table and poured the entire contents into the jar, effectively filling the empty space between the sand.  The students laughed..

'Now,' said the professor as the laughter subsided, 'I want you to recognize that this jar represents your life.
The votive candles are the important things---your family, your children, your health, your friends and your favorite passions, the things that "light up your life"---and if everything else was lost and only they remained, your life would still be full.

The pebbles are the other things that matter like your job, your house, and your car.

The sand is everything else---the small stuff.

'If you put the sand into the jar first,' he continued, 'there is no room for the pebbles or the candles.

The same goes for life.

If you spend all your time and energy on the small stuff you will never have room for the things that are important to you.  Pay attention to the things that are critical to your happiness.

Spend time with family.

Shower your lover with special treatments.

Visit faraway places.

Take care of yourself mentally, physically, and spiritually.

Take time for svadhyaya- self study.

Hoop for just another five minutes.

There will always be time to do chores and watch tv.

Take care of the votive candles first---the things that really matter.

Set your priorities.

Be true to yourself.

The rest is just sand.'

One of the students raised her hand and inquired what the tea represented.

The professor smiled and said, 'I'm glad you asked.
The tea just shows you that no matter how full your life may seem, there's always room for a cup of tea with a friend.'

I hope that you take this story to heart.  So many of us go through life everyday in this drone state of go to work, drive home, have dinner, go to sleep, repeat.  We need to get out there and enjoy life, fully taking advantage of all the wonderful things that have been presented to us. 

After I found out that my boyfriend's 47 year old step dad has stage IV lung cancer, it scared me- a lot.  That is only twenty more years for my boyfriend.  I couldn't even imagine just having twenty years.  There is so much we want to do; so many places we want to go; it would seem crushing to find out that you waited too long to do the things you always wanted to do. 

I take a second and just ask if you could give his step father some good thoughts, prayers, or send him some good energy, anything will help.  He's a very sick man.


Pic of cake from recipe
On a lighter note, All Hallow's Eve is this weekend.  Going to our neighbor's party tonight and I'm making kitty litter cake :).  I have, of course, made the ingredients a tiny bit better.  Unfortunately, there's no substitute I could find for tootsie rolls.  But I did find organic or all natural items for the rest of the ingredients.  I will post recipe and pictures later.  If you wish to join the spooky, cooking fun, here is two delish recipes from Chef Chloe.  As usual, I've waited until the last minute to figure out a costume; it seems like that every year.  I think I will just throw something together and either be a Wood Sprite or Gaia (Mother Earth).  I'll post pics of my outfit, too, along with the cake.  It should be fun.  Halloween has always been one of my favorite holidays, but it seems to have snuck up on me every time for the past few years; guess it because I've been so super busy.  Next year I would like to have my own Halloween party.
So I hope everyone has a fun and safe weekend.  Go out and play some tricks and eat some treats; embrace the chance to have a good time with friends or family.  Meditate on what the true meaning of Samhain is:  remembering those that have passed before us and giving thanks for those that are still with us. Until next time.  Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment